Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Prison and other cheery subjects

Back from the Middle East where I did my press trip. All ran extremely smoothly apart from a nightmarish start.
"Please move BACK!" bellowed security at the airport. "This is an EVACUATION". The man with the megaphone continued to bellow with scant regard to the fact that we were already against the wall. We quickly established that the building wasn't going to burst into flames and that it was probably merely an excuse for security to do lunch -although to their credit they'd staged pretty authentic looks of terror.
Onboard, things weren't much better. Did I prefer furious neglected toddlers, who sadly are not even absent from Business Class these days, or furious drunken men? Its a theory I'd have preferred not to be testing.
I spotted a gay couple canoodling in the lounge and winced. Don't they know it carries a jail sentence over here? Fingers crossed for them.
Talking of jail in the Middle East, here's a revelation from Sally Antia, a British woman being held in a Dubai prison for adultery:
She says of her cell "It's the other side of Dubai - the side they don't want you to see." Well, yes - it's a PRISON?! - not a tourist attraction, and most people visiting the region are not aspiring to a jail sentence. So you can forgive the tourism authority if a maggot-filled sandwich at the desert jail - complimentary of course - isn't part of the itinerary.
Whilst I don't agree with the law, she knew about it when she moved there and if she was prepared to lose custody of her children for the sake of a fling then she should pay the consequences...

No comments:

Post a Comment